The websiteThis website was launched in 2007 to give unbiased information on climate change, carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions, and how to become independent of fossil fuels. The calculator is constructed according to the best information available, and will be updated as new information becomes available.
The stance on this website is that of a policy scientist, i.e. where the aim is to work towards a robust evidence-based consensus of reasonable people on any policy question, where the starting point is an open mind and impartiality, using scientific methods and agreed principles of policy making, as a contribution to society's decision making process.
AuthorsThe main author is Ian Campbell (iancampbell.co.uk).
- 15 years working as a doctor specialising in General Surgery and in Radiotherapy & Oncology
- 14 years working as a statistical consultant: about 120 projects for about 60 clients
- BA (1975) medical sciences
- BSc (1994) Open University degree in statistics
- MB MChir (1978) clinical medicine
- MD (1994) doctorate in the use of statistical methods in cancer research
- FRCS (1982) Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
- FRCR (1989) Fellow of the Royal College of Radiology (Radiotherapy and Oncology)
Competing interests: No financial interest in this area
AcknowledgementsThanks are due to Margaret, Helen, Debbie, Peter, Carol, Geraldine, Clive, Andrew, Patrick, Ann, Gen and John for feedback on earlier versions of the calculator, and to many others for feedback on the calculator and information pages.
Contact usComments on any aspect of this website are welcome.
The aim is to give a fair summary of the evidence, and give unbiased conclusions. If we have omitted important considerations, or not given them due weight, please let us know.
- one of three recommended by Ethical Consumer Magazine (Nov/Dec 2007 issue) in the "Best Overall Online Calculators" category.
- one of the calculators recommended by the Newsletter of Women's Environmental Network (Winter 2007 issue) www.wen.org.uk.
- recommended by The Three Tonne Club Handbook (2008) www.wen.org.uk.
- recommended by The Woodland Trust (2022) https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk.
|Flooded telephone box: The Flood! Catcliffe Fire Brigade rescuers: Copyright Mark Lomas www.flickr.com/photos/outallnight/|
|Dry river bed: Matt & Kim Rudge www.flickr.com/photos/mattandkim/94501076/in/datetaken/|
Evidence of the severity of the drought in Kenya - this was marked on the map as a river.
|Wind turbines: Stuart Yeates www.flickr.com/photos/stuartyeates/93821358/in/datetaken/|
|Boys biking, silhouette: Copyright Karl Hutchinson: www.flickr.com/photos/whateverthing/|
Images and tables from academic and government publications etcSome images etc have been reproduced on the website, and permission has been assumed on the basis that
- the use is non-commercial
- attribution has been given
- the meaning has not been altered.
Charts by carbonindependent.orgAny chart produced by carbonindependent.org can be copied without restriction.
First published Feb 2007
Last updated: 17 Oct 2022